Tuesday 29 November 2011

Exploring the world of academia

I have been told by various academics including my supervisors about the importance of attending scholarly conferences ever since I  enrolled in my PhD programme. Finally, I made a decision in June this year to attend Pacific Employee Relations Association (PERA) annual conference. I wrote a research paper on one of the theories I applied in my PhD research and analyzing some of the data I have collected for my PhD project. I was fortunate to receive one of the '2011 Elizabeth Whiting PERA Conference Scholarships for Postgraduate Research and Honours Students' for my paper. It covered my registration fee and accommodation (up to AU$1000). The conference was held from 14th-17th November 2011 at Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise, Gold Coast. I made my presentation on 15th November under the stream of 'industry studies'.

During the four days I spent in Gold Coast, I learned a lot about academia and academics. First, academics love and enjoy what they do, researching, teaching, presenting  and debating over the issues relevant to their fields. In PERA conference, I noticed a couple of academics who attended all the sessions and in all four days regardless of the stream, topic and presenter. They made genuine contributions and set future directions and research agenda for areas such as enterprise bargaining, union leadership etc. I was amazed to see the level of debating among the academics, the openness and recognition for divergent thinking. They pursued their arguments giving due credits to the top academics in their field and respecting individuals who proposed counter arguments. The level of tolerance and respect was second to none. They listened carefully to students and early researchers and made suggestions for improvements.

Second, besides enriching their area of research, academics use conferences for networking. PERA conference provides various opportunities for networking. Morning tea, lunch, evening tea, conference BBQ and conference dinner were all opportunities for networking. They also organized an informal session for early researchers for networking purposes. I met a few top professors in the field of employment relations and workforce development who were found to be very humble, approachable and willing to help new researchers.

Third, academics enjoy chatting and sharing. I observed that during the conference dinner and BBQ nights, they kept on having conversations with each other over a glass of wine or beer. It lasted for hours. For me it was like being in a prison. I tried to escape several times. I got bored within the first hour each night. But as they kept on talking to me, I did not get a chance to get out of the restaurant.

Fourth, besides the academic part, academics use conferences as an opportunity to travel and enjoy. After having a hectic academic year, they want to relax and enjoy on the sideline of the conference. That's the reason why organizers are careful to host conferences in popular tourist destinations such as Gold Coast.

Fifth, I observed a few things which might be specific to PERA and Australian academics. I was amazed to see the bond between the group of academics leading PERA. They are like a family. They do everything in an informal and friendly manner. As all participants automatically receive membership of PERA for the upcoming year, I was given the opportunity to attend the AGM of PERA. The way they conducted the AGM was unique. I observed the casual, easy going and cool Australian way of life throughout the conference. Who would think that participants attending an academic conference like this will wear shorts and T-shirts. For the opening ceremony, I went with my suit, but I found that the key note speaker and I were the only people with suits. I ran to my room and changed my clothes before going inside the conference hall.

PERA conference was a wonderful opportunity for me to explore academia and learn about the lives of academics.I tried to make the best out of it. I made some friends, established networks with academics and professionals. I made a presentation and I was offered to submit my paper to a journal affiliated with the conference rather than publishing on the conference proceedings. I was also elected as one of the postgraduate representatives to the PERA committee. I agree with academics who recommend these conferences to early researchers. But my advise is not to leave your research paper to be published in the conference proceedings. Instead improve the paper based on the feedback received from the conference and submit it to a scholarly journal. I wish to attend the second conference during 2012, only if I get the funds.

1 comment:

  1. first of all, congratulations on the conference scholarship. your paper definitely must be good.
    and yes, i agree - conferencing is a time for networking and fun, and open discussion. and yes, the level of understanding and respect even between experienced researchers and students is awesome. Australian people are a friendly bunch. Oz land rocks.
    my first experience at a conference was in 2008 and i had a great time. sharing my reflection here http://mindblur.wordpress.com/2008/11/10/conferencing/ :)

    ReplyDelete